Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bama -vs-TN, GnR


The big day is upon us. The only way for the Vols to salvage this season is to beat Bama's brains out. At least that would ease the pain of not going to a BCS bowl. Being a Vol fan isn't easy this year. Crappy overall record, a dismal 1-3 conference record & everyone wants Phil's head on a platter stuffed with pecan dressing. I don't blame Coach Fulmer. He has no QB to work with, an average front line, 2 mediocre RB's and a defense that only wants to administer "Oooohhh Licks". My Jr. High coach told us an "Oooohhhh Lick" was one hit that makes the whole crowd go Oooohhh! The problem, with that is you gotta wrap up the runner after that. It seems the defensive players all just wanna get on Sportscenter & aren't playing as a team.
I am calling this one for Bama. The Tide wins 17-13. Probably would have been the same had it been in Tuscaloosa. This is UT vs Bama. One of the biggest rivalries in the south. I don't really care about the Ohio State vs Michigan game but I really get pumped up for the Vols/Crimson Tide game.
This all started in grade school. My neighbor across the street was a big Bama fan and a world class jerk. He had a big mouth and small brain. Used the mouth alot and the brain not so much. He was mouthing off about Bama beating UT one year and when they lost, I let him have it for months. It also stems from my uncle handing down a TN jersey that was bright orange an 2 sizes too big for me. Even though it was from UT-Martin, it was orange and I pretended it was a Vols jersey. So at 7:45 ET, I will be watching the game in my Vols hoodie, flying my Orange flag & eating elephant burgers. I like to pull for the underdog.

Speaking of underdogs. Guns and Roses released their long awaited title track from Chinese Democracy this week. The release date will be Nov. 23rd for the entire album with a vinyl LP that comes with a digital download. I am not a huge fan of GnR but I don't dislike their music. I find it interesting that it was reported that they have spent over $13 million dollars on one album. Oh yeah...this was reported in 2005...by someone who had not been in on the project for 6 years. That is a lotta scratch for 14 tracks. Just give me 1/10th of that and I'll give you an all out rocker in less than half the time. I can't judge the new CD, but I am pretty sure it will not be ground breaking to the tune of $13mil plus. I hope the best for them because they need to sell alot of digital downloads to break even. That being said, this is supposed to be a trilogy and that makes it a little easier to swallow. But they all better rock my face off. I'd like to have it just to see what kind of studio tricks were involved.
If I run across some extra money that I cannot figure out how to spend, I might go get it. Until than I'll be singing Rocky Top. If Bama wins, I'll have to call my stepdad and take it on the chin. (he's a big Bama fan). If UT wins I might do an online search to find the moron from grade school's number and call him up & give him a big, long distance bronx cheer.

Go Vols,
SF

No comments: